This blog is not meant to steal anything from anyone. I want share my love for history and Shakespearean plays through this blog. Shakespeare changed historical account a bit and I may do the same for the sake of the play which is a historical tragedy.
I hope my readers like it. :-D
Foot Note:- Copying from this blog is strictly prohibited.

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Act 7 Scene 3

Zama, the Battlefield, Hannibal's camp.Enter Hannibal and Mago.


Hannibal: How goes the mood in the camps? Are the newly commissioned elephants come?

Mago: They are come my liege; and are ready to do battle. The mood is reserved, but men have high hopes.

Hannibal: So March, and call on my aid to dress me in battle attire.
Mago: I shallst.


[Exit Mago



Hannibal: This war doth give me an uneasy feel for strategies galore have been thought. Thus ‘tis time for the actual war to be fought.


[Exit

 

Battlefield in Zama; Roman camp.Enter Scipio the Younger and other officers.


Scipio the Younger: Officers listen forth; remember our plans for their elephant charge; and forget not that the Numidians fill our already sturdy camps. Feel the beats of vengeance, gyrating to rhythms of these drums; the time has come! This place shallst be our redemption of Cannae and salvation to all those who fight hither, in this day, with me and for Rome! Brothers, thou art not simple soldiers hither, thou art the personification of Rome’s will for its everlasting reign!

Others: Rome! Rome! We will not forget Cannae! We will our dead comrades avenge! To Victory!


[Exeunt 


The two armies form up, and the battle begins. Carthaginians use their elephants, their shock weapon of war, and charge the Roman ranks. The Romans practised in the art of war step aside and let them pass between them. When the elephants have stopped, they are butchered with Roman spears. 


The moral of the Carthaginians take a shattering blow, yet the two infantries engage in combat, along with their cavalries. 


Action is both on and offstage.


Enter the Roman infantry fighting tooth and nail with the Carthaginian infantry, which is then attacked at the rear by the Numidian cavalry, now fighting for Rome!


Roman Officer: How doth thou feel when thou dost get the bitter and torturous taste of thy own vile medicine?

Carthaginian Officer: Surrounded we are, may be, but aye, vanquished we are not. We shallst not drop till our last breath leave our body.

Roman Officer: Thy vanity shallst fall to my valiant blade.


The fighting resumes and the Romans are victorious. The Carthaginians are all but obliterated and some are taken prisoner. 


Another part of the battlefield.Enter Mago & Scipio fighting along with others.



Mago: Rally on men, rally on, this foe may not be crushed but it is assailable. We can win!

Scipio the Younger: I am flummoxed by thy tomfoolery, ‘tis clear that that yea canst never win. There can be no virtue in raising the moral of dead men!

Mago: ‘Tis then yea that shallst to my blade fall.


They fight and after severe noteworthy swordsmanship from both parties, Scipio the Younger prevails and kills Mago. The Romans take the remaining Carthaginians prisoner, as the battle is overwhelmingly won by them! 


Carthage, the city. Enter Hannibal and a few of his retreating troops and the citizens of Carthage from opposite ends. 


Hannibal: With profound grief and heartfelt sorrow, I pronounce this sad and terrible news, that the day we have well and truly lost. Friends have perished and my tactics have been vanquished by those of the superior foe. They have taken 20000 Carthaginian troops as prisoner and soon wouldst overrun & plunder this city is truce isn’t immediately called. I beg thee, let not my failure cost my beloved Carthage and its people, culture more than already occurred. Prithee call for truce and agree to whatever the terms the Romans offer.

Citizens: Aye, we shallst hie to tell the Council.


[Exeunt all but Hannibal


 
Hannibal: The end of my powers as I see them hath arrived, the saga mayst near its demise.


 [Exeunt

No comments:

Post a Comment