This blog is not meant to steal anything from anyone. I want share my love for history and Shakespearean plays through this blog. Shakespeare changed historical account a bit and I may do the same for the sake of the play which is a historical tragedy.
I hope my readers like it. :-D
Foot Note:- Copying from this blog is strictly prohibited.

Friday, July 4, 2014

Act 8 Scene 1

The Praetor’s office, late at night in Carthage.Enter Hannibal, who paces up and down nervously.


Hannibal: The still night beckons; and I must make this move, for Rome shallst never have me. Alas! People of Carthage, I have failed thee again, first as general and now as Praetor. Full well their trust I didst gain, but my greatest folly was to believe in the leadership of Carthage, which had rotten beyond use before my ascent of the Alps. The War was lost before metal tasted blood, and now I know why. Reforms galore I didst put forth, which made the people happy but the arrogant elders cried foul; no country’s fate shouldst ever be entrusted upon them!

 They doth care only to increase their land holdings; and doth bend to any degree like a creeper, and comply even with a mortal enemy. Happy they doth seem, conniving with Rome to, but alas, they realize not that Rome, with her powers enhanced, shall like a Kraken, with its myriad tentacles wrap and sink this ship. This I canst not allow, whilst I am still in office, but it doth seem scared them I have with Cannae. The ghosts of Cannae wouldst forever haunt them till beloved Carthage is done to dust, but not under my watch! Yet these greedy thugs conspire to have me killed, or worse still, have me delivered to Rome!

They rue the loss of their privileges, for ‘twas I who decreed the membership o’th’Council to be one year and that their office be subject to public election, with two whole years being the fullest term. This didst open up their moral decay, and they showed their decadent selves! Now like a hungry wolf pack in winter, they wouldst pounce on me, but methinks me is too clever for their silvered hands and heads, and I shallst flee in absolute silence, at an ungodly hour, before the wolf pack strikes! Hark! Who goes thither!

Enter a messenger


Messenger: Sire, ‘tis time, the horse awaits at the gates. As per thy orders the vessel to Tyre is at the docks, ready to sail at first tide. I suggest we hie, for conspirators and Roman troops are at large!

Hannibal: Hail Messenger! Thou hast done what a true and noble son of Carthage wouldst do! I shall take to sea, come away at once!


[Exeunt

No comments:

Post a Comment