This blog is not meant to steal anything from anyone. I want share my love for history and Shakespearean plays through this blog. Shakespeare changed historical account a bit and I may do the same for the sake of the play which is a historical tragedy.
I hope my readers like it. :-D
Foot Note:- Copying from this blog is strictly prohibited.

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Act 6 Scene 1

Hannibal’s camp, near Campania. There inside Hannibal’s tent.Enter Hannibal, who sits in the chair and painfully reflects.

Hannibal: Parched, scorched, burnt, charred and pillaged, I and my armies have for the past four years since the great battle of Cannae. That battle has brought me futile glory, which I canst not use for disowned I have been by my beloved Carthage, for whom me and my men have bled. Carthage’s petty political motives have shaken us into nothingness, my desire for men, materials, and supplies from Hispania it comes and yet suffices not!
Rome has more allies than I didst fathom and whilst mine have quietly slipped away, My army is home-sick and weary and the days hither are dreary, they long action and want not to tarry; and yet ‘tis would be prudent to gather resources to launch a siege. Now as time would have it neither siege weapons nor men I do possess, nor can I withstand a counter siege. Yet my fellow commanders think me meek, and incompetent and one of them, ‘twas Maharbal methinks didst once come to me and said, “Yea couldst gain victories but yea couldst not use them”. Hark! Even the rains have stopped showering these sweet drops on these bald lands, turning them sour to every soul that strides them; save the all enduring Romans, who have chosen attrition and cowardice, and rightly so on their part, so as not to fall prey to my myriad strategies, and thus, methinks they have begun the unstoppable march to the crystal halls of supreme rule, whilst we ourselves mayst be doomed to drown in the abyss of obscurity. But ‘tis only the duty of an honourable soldier to fight on till the end. Then Hannibal –wait!

Alarum, outside and excited screams.
Enter 2 chiefs of Republics allied to Hannibal.


1st chief: Rome is attacking us, we must reply aptly!

2nd chief: No longer can yea tarry thy advance, march thou must on Rome to deliver the decisive punch, doth yea have the requisite forces?

Hannibal: nay good lord, nay but Prithee hark my plan. Besiege Rome I shallst to put a halt to its attacks and broker a peace treaty by intimidating them, for still wary of me they are. Go rally thy men and horses and I shallst do mine, for this hour beckons us to act! Hie, we must!

 [Exeunt


No comments:

Post a Comment