This blog is not meant to steal anything from anyone. I want share my love for history and Shakespearean plays through this blog. Shakespeare changed historical account a bit and I may do the same for the sake of the play which is a historical tragedy.
I hope my readers like it. :-D
Foot Note:- Copying from this blog is strictly prohibited.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Act 2 Scene 6

Hannibal’s headquarters, Hispania Enter Hannibal


Hannibal: Spring, summer, autumn, winter; ay, these are seasons, which, provide different moods upon the minds of simple men. My mind, they affect not. Seasons pass by, in their steady annual march; whilst I, melancholically brood over dried and dusty thoughts. Rain, which does quench the summer traveller’s thirst, the healer of heated earth, the harbinger of blossom; even on arid lands, the provider of hope; that providence is at hand; cannot remove the perennial drought that does enflame my aggrieved heart. Sleep the curer of many ills and infirmities, comes not to me. Only blooded dreams and aghast silhouettes appear in my sleep, appalling me from within. Woe is the accursed time, for this sickly hour, that mars many meticulous generals, is forever permanent on Hispania, whilst the sun of imperial glory and gay abandon shines, brighter than ever on the Roman state. Thou Lord! Doth thee want us to be bereft of victory? My mind concludes that every thought and action put forth to oust Rome has come to naught, disasters have stuck to near and dear, high and low, and kith and kin, and yet rome have prospered, gaining from the constant eastern glow. The last to fall to treason’s fitful axe was none other than my well beloved brother.Noble and fair thou were’t fair brother; and so I heartily fare thee well; may I be thy able pupil and serve Carthage till I fell.

Alarum outside


Hark! What noise rings out? The soldiers, yesterday did with joyous greeting and childish admiration, all hailed me as my noble father’s embodiment; then later did proclaim me as the supreme commander Carthage in Hispania and Iberia. Now I wait, with restless temper, for a false move by Rome, and then shallst I and all my nation and soldiers embark upon our rightful and justified cause, to validate and uplift Carthaginian goodwill and unmask Roman felony.

Enter a Servant


How do report of the commotion without?

Servant: Sir, the Roman ambassador to Hispania seeks thy audience over some important matters of the state.

Hannibal: Bring him to me.

[Exit servant


Tricks of Rome do seem plentiful and endless. Rome, triest thou thy worst means and worst to win me to thy side but all those shallst be in vain. I shallst not budge or be moved by spiteful talk and deceitful smiles. For I have noted that thou art famous for thy myriad if guiles. Restless peace, thunderous tranquil and calamitous calm; ay, to heal these I shall not use Roman balm. Such pernicious problems with warfare shall be solved.

Alarum. Enter Roman ambassador to Hispania, Gaius Terentius Varro; followed by Roman flag bearers and troops, they followed by Carthaginian troops.



Gaius Terentius Varro: I come from the Roman senate, as an ambassador of harmony, to thy office to hereby inform thee of certain Roman plans in these lands.

Hannibal: Pray proceed.

Gaius Terentius Varro: Hereafter Saguntum, this Hispanic city, is to become a Roman protectorate, and that Rome shall interfere if that city be harmed.

Hannibal: Blasted deal! Thou rogue, Saguntum is south if the river Ebro, this city is firmly within Carthaginian gripe, nay this intervention shall lead untimely conflict if it be true for it is a clear breach of the treaty as signed by my brother.

Gaius Terentius Varro: It is the truth, and it is final; actest thou as thou likest. Yet for my part there is not much reason to tempt us to conflict, we mean no harm by this slight breach of pact.

Hannibal: Silence thou Roman villain!! As per the facts any breach leads to outright battle, which must shortly ensue. It is a pity that Rome is so inconsiderate!

Gaius Terentius Varro: Then war it shall be! With the Saguntines, yet it is my solemn duty to warn thee of a long struggle. [Aside] A short one if thou surrender quickly.

[Exeunt all others except Hannibal


Hannibal: Hmm, the drums of war ring out, we must prepare for this quest with full fervour.

Enter Hasdrubal and Mago


Hasdrubal: Brother, do we hear of some discontent between thee and Rome?

Hannibal: Thou hearsest sooth, my brother

Mago: Then must we believe that war is imminent?

Hannibal: Ay, it is and thus let us put ourselves to the test.On the morrow ring out the alarum of war in our compound. Go to and get thou a good night’s sleep, then on the morrow our generals do we meet. So to that; let us put forward our military might. Since, the best warriors are those that can claim victory in a fight.

[Exeunt

2 comments:

  1. soliloquy was awesome. the entire scene, in fact, was. can't wait for the battle begin!! XD get the battle started already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesh and wait thou till act 3 scene 2 for another epic :-D

    ReplyDelete